Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Stirling, Wellgreen Place, St Ninian's Well

Holy Well (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Stirling, Wellgreen Place, St Ninian's Well

Classification Holy Well (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 46210

Site Number NS79SE 33

NGR NS 79690 93012

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/46210

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Stirling
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NS79SE 33 79690 93012.

(NS 7968 9301) St Ninian's Well (NR)

OS 25" map (1942)

Well (NR)

OS 6" map (1938/42)

St Ninian's Well is protected by a small building, part of which is supposed to have been a small chapel, but it is more likely to have been a bath. (St Ninian's Chapel: NS79SE 42 - probably Medieval).

New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845

The building erected over St Ninian's Well comprises two chambers. The lower, which has roughly dressed vaulting, measures 16' by 11' and has a square recess where the spring rises. The room above is the same size, and is divided by timber partitions to form a dwelling-house. It is rough-cast externally. At present the wall is used for domestic washing.

J R Walker 1883

Only about 3.0m of the walls now remain above ground. On these is a modern concrete flat roof, the whole being in poor condition.

Visited by OS (FDC) 26 June 1950

There is a possibility that St Ninian's Chapel (NS79SE 42) and St Ninian's Well were both at the same site, but the evidence for this is not conclusive.

Information from OS (CJP) 18 July 1958

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect: Robert Henderson 1737

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions