Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Stirling, 14, 18 Bow Street,

Town House (16th Century)

Site Name Stirling, 14, 18 Bow Street,

Classification Town House (16th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Erskine Of Gogar's House; Darnley House

Canmore ID 46204

Site Number NS79SE 28

NGR NS 79385 93684

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/46204

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Stirling
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NS79SE 28 79385 93684

(NS 7938 9368) Darnley House (NR)

OS 25" map (1966)

Darnley House was visited by the RCAHMS in 1954, before its restoration in 1957-8. They described it as an L-shaped building comprising a main block and a wing which extends to the rear. The main block (3 storeys high) and the wing (4 storeys) have been much altered from time to time. There is a rectangular staircase-tower in the re-entrant angle. The facade is of ashlar; the remainder of the structure is of random rubble. A late 16th or early 17th century date is suggested for the building.

A 19th century panel set into the facade states that the house was the nursery of James VI and his son Henry, but this tradition, like that which associated the building with Lord Darnley, does not seem to be supported by any evidence. More probably the house should be associated with the Erskines of Gogar.

RCAHMS 1963, visited 1954

As described.

Visited by OS (JP) 6 December 1973

Activities

Publication Account (1978)

The so called Darnley House in the north end of Bow Street was the townhouse of. the Erskines of Cogar who were Hereditary Keepers of Stirling Castle. Built in the late sixteenth or early seventeenth century, the house has a main frontage of ashlar masonry.

Information from Scottish Burgh Survey, ‘Historic Stirling: The Archaeological Implications of Development’, (1978).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions