Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Stirling, Broad Street, Mercat Cross

Market Cross (19th Century)

Site Name Stirling, Broad Street, Mercat Cross

Classification Market Cross (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Stirling Mercat Cross, Stirling Market Cross

Canmore ID 46201

Site Number NS79SE 25

NGR NS 79326 93709

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/46201

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Stirling
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NS79SE 25 79326 93709

(NS 7932 9370) Mercat Cross on site of (NAT)

Mercat Cross (NR)

OS 25" map (1966)

Stirling Mercat Cross was restored and re-erected in its original position in 1891, but only the unicorn finial formed part of the original monument. The animal, in a sitting position, wears a collar from which a chain carries round the body. In front of the breast is a shield bearing the Royal Arms of Scotland, surrounded by the collar of the Order of the Thistle. Ronald states that there are good grounds for believing that it dates from the 12th century.

The jougs which were attached to the market cross are in the Smith Institute, Stirling (Acc No: OA 2).

RCAHMS 1963, visited 1954; J Ronald 1899; Smith Institute 1934

The Mercat Cross is as described.

Visited by OS (JP) 11 December 1973.

Architecture Notes

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

PLANS:

Scottish Record Office

RHP 6002 1752 - plan & elevation of houses fronting the Cross.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions