Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Stirling, Castle Wynd, Grammar School

Hotel (Period Unassigned), School (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Stirling, Castle Wynd, Grammar School

Classification Hotel (Period Unassigned), School (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Portcullis Hotel

Canmore ID 46200

Site Number NS79SE 24

NGR NS 79209 93848

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/46200

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Stirling
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

N79SE 24 79209 93848

The abbots and monks of Dunfermline were the directors of the Grammar School at Stirling in 1173, at which date the first mention of it is found. It has been carried on, apparently with considerable success, since that time. Since the opening of the High School in 1854 the building has been used as a store by the Stirlingshire Militia.

W Drysdale 1904

NS 7920 9384. Sited by ex-Provost Gourlay, Allan Park, Stirling, from an early print. No remains of the building were seen at the site, the present premises being occupied by a Brigade of the Highland Division, the Commanding Officer of which could give no information on the subject.

Visited by OS (FDC) 24 June 1950

The old Grammar School building (at NS 7920 9384) was erected in 1788. RCAHMS 1963, visited 1955

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

ARCHITECT:- Gideon Gray 1788.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions