Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Larkhall, Millheugh, Larkhall Viaduct

Railway Viaduct (19-20th Century)

Site Name Larkhall, Millheugh, Larkhall Viaduct

Classification Railway Viaduct (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Larkhall Railway Viaduct; Millheugh Viaduct; Broomhill Viaduct; Avon Water

Canmore ID 45714

Site Number NS75SE 26

NGR NS 75422 50324

NGR Description NS 75322 50253 to NS 75562 50422

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/45714

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Dalserf
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Hamilton
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS75SE 26 75422 50324 (NS 75322 50253 to NS 75562 50422)

(Location cited as NS 754 503). Broomhill viaduct, Millheugh: built 1904 by Arrol Bros. for the Caledonian Rly. A 6-span, steel-truss bridge 530 ft (381m) long and 170 ft (51.8m) high, with masonry piers.

J R Hume 1976.

This viaduct formerly carried the Ferguslie-Stonehouse line of the Caledonian Rly. across the Avon Water. It probably closed to regular passenger traffic on 4 October 1965 as part of the Strathaven-Hamilton (Haughend Junction) route.

The river here defines the boundary between the parishes of Stonehouse (to the W) and Dalserf (to the E).

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 27 March 2001.

G Daniels and L Dench 1980.

Larkhall Viaduct [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, September 2010.

Site Management (24 December 1993)

High 6-span steel X-truss bridge across River Avon. Independent sections of box-frame construction with lattice work braces; girder and steel plate decking cantilevered with catwalks and plain handrails; timber-floored maintenance walkway along S side. Tapered bull-faced cream sandstone piers with granite cores on concrete foundations with narrow strip detail to angles.

Built for the Caledonian Railway company by Arrol Brothers of Glasgow, engineers; A H Boyle of Glasgow was the contractor. The building of the viaduct was authorised by Caledonian Railway Act, 1897, for the Larkhall to Stonehouse branch. The contract to built was drawn up between the Caledonian Railway Company and Adam Hall Boyle, contractor, of Ruchill House, Glasgow, on 9th April 1898. The central masonry piers, numbers 4 and 5 were completed in December 1899 and May 1900 respectively. These piers were erected on concrete bases 52 x 32 feet and were sunk up to 60 feet below the ground.

Said to be the highest railway bridge in Scotland and the second highest in Britain, its centre span rises 174 feet, some 170 feet above the river. (Historic Scotland)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions