Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Bothwell, Bothwell Bridge

Road Bridge (17th Century)

Site Name Bothwell, Bothwell Bridge

Classification Road Bridge (17th Century)

Alternative Name(s) River Clyde; Hamilton Bridge

Canmore ID 45693

Site Number NS75NW 8

NGR NS 71077 57765

NGR Description Centred NS 71077 57765

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/45693

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Bothwell (Hamilton)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Hamilton
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS75NW 8 71077 57765

For adjacent (to SE) site of Battle of Bothwell Bridge (22 June 1679), see NS75NW 5.

(NS 7108 5776) Bothwell Bridge (NAT)

OS 1:10000 map (1978)

(Location cited as NS 711 578). Bothwell Bridge: a 17th century bridge, widened and improved in 1826 and 1871. It is a four-span masonry bridge, with segmental ribbed arches and triangular cut- waters. On both sides, iron footpaths with cast iron parapets have been cantilevered out.

J R Hume 1976.

Descheduled: former number 1150.

Information from Historic Scotland, 14 November 1996.

This bridge carries the B7071 public road across the River Clyde, which here forms the boundary between the parishes of Hamilton and Bothwell.

The location assigned to this record defines the centre of the span. The OS 1:2500 map of 1964 indicates that it extends from NS c. 71050 47790 to NS c. 71108 57730.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 21 December 2005.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE

Bothwell Bridge spans the parish boundary between Hamilton to the south and Bothwell to the north.

For details of excavation archive by Scotia Archaeology Limited see Archaeology.

Scottish Magazine March 1933 pg 37

EXTERNAL REFERENCE

National Portrait Gallery - Article and Photograph

'Glasgow and Lanarkshire Illustrated'

1910. Cat 1935 c/July 946. p.99

Mitchell Library Wm Graham Vol I p.26. - photo from original drawing

Activities

Photographic Record (1865 - 1867)

Photograph album with photos compiled and photographed by J McGhie, Hamilton.

Project (2007)

This project was undertaken to input site information listed in 'Civil engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' by R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Publication Account (2007)

Bothwell Bridge or Brig is one of the few ribbed-arch mediaeval masonry bridges remaining in Scotland. It

gained everlasting fame as the site of the battle of 1679 in which the Covenanters were tragically defeated by the Duke of Monmouth.

The bridge, dating from ca.1490, which has four slightly pointed arch spans of 45 ft, was originally 11 ft 6 in. wide between parapets but was widened in 1826. It now carries the B7071 road over the Clyde between Uddingston and Hamilton.

R Paxton and S Shipway 2007

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission from Thomas Telford Publishers.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions