Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Rutherglen, Main Street, St Columbkille's Roman Catholic Church

Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Glasgow, Rutherglen, Main Street, St Columbkille's Roman Catholic Church

Classification Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Rutherglen, Kirkwood Street

Canmore ID 45150

Site Number NS66SW 89

NGR NS 61405 61636

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/45150

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Rutherglen (South Lanarkshire)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

Architecture Notes

NS66SW 89.00 61405 61636

Architect: Gillespie Kidd & Coia 1934-40

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Glasgow Diocesan Office, Clyde Street, Glasgow, Drawings Collection.

CP175/4 Roof Plan Dyeline Copy Scale 1/8" Gillespie, Kidd & Coia 1938

CP175/5 Cross Section AA Dyeline Copy Scale 1/8" Gillespie, Kidd & Coia 1938

Cross Section BB

CP175/6/A Side Elevation Dyeline Copy Scale 1/8" Gillespie, Kidd & Coia 1938

Side Elevation Dyeline Copy Scale 1/8" Gillespie, Kidd & Coia 1938

CP175/6/B Ground Floor Plan Dyeline Copy Scale 1/8" Gillespie, Kidd & Coia 1938

CP175/1 Foundation Plan Dyeline Copy Scale 1/8" Gillespie, Kidd & Coia 1938

CP175/2 Longitudinal Section Dyeline Copy Scale 1/8" Gillespie, Kidd & Coia 1938

CP175/3 Front Elevation Dyeline Copy Scale 1/8" Gillespie, Kidd & Coia 1938

Back Elevation

NS66SW 89.01 61422 61590 Presbytery

Activities

Note

The current church of St Columbkille replaced an earlier church in the parish dating from the mid nineteenth century mainly catering to the large number of migrants to the west of Scotland from Ireland. By the 1930's the church was too small and the current building was designed by G A 'Jack' Coia and built from 1938, completed by 1940.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions