Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Rutherglen, Town Hall

Tolbooth (16th Century), Town Hall (19-20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Rutherglen, Town Hall

Classification Tolbooth (16th Century), Town Hall (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) 131-139 Main Street; District Council Offices

Canmore ID 45134

Site Number NS66SW 73

NGR NS 61375 61700

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/45134

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Rutherglen (South Lanarkshire)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS66SW 73.00 6138 6170

NS66SW 73.01 NS 614 617 Watching Brief

Architecture Notes

Glasgow, Rutherglen, Town Hall.

Architect: Charles Wilson 1862-3

Activities

Publication Account (1978)

Rutherglen Tolbooth dates from at least 1593 - a year in which the Convention of the Royal Burghs granted the town £100 to be used in repairing the tolbooth and causeways (Marwick, 1909, 45). The Tolbooth was rebuilt in 1766 and is described by Ure as an 'elegant' structure, with a council chamber, prison rooms and so forth (1793, 80). That building was in turn replaced by a new Town Hall in 1861. Shearer described an octagonal mark in the pavement directly in front of the public library as part of one of the stone appurtenances which 'graced' the old Tolbooth in 1766 (1922, 285).

Information from ‘Historic Rutherglen: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1978).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions