Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Ladywell Street, Lady Well

Holy Well (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Glasgow, Ladywell Street, Lady Well

Classification Holy Well (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 45037

Site Number NS66NW 9

NGR NS 60376 65327

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/45037

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Glasgow (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS66NW 9 60376 65327

(NS 6037 6532) Lady Well (NR)

OS 25" map, (1968)

Lady Well, anciently a holy well dedicated to the Virgin Mary, was probably one of the sixteen public wells in Glasgow in 1736. It used to flow from the E bank of the Merchants' Park, but when this was converted to the Necropolis, the well became polluted and was closed. The Merchants' House, in 1836, built a niche on the spot to mark the site of its exit from the brae. This was rebuilt in 1874.

When visited in 1951, the site of the well was as described above.

J R Walker 1883; Glasgow Evening News 1935; J M'Ure 1736; H Scott et al 1915-61; Visited by OS (WMJ) 5 September 1951.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions