Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.

 

The Tor, Torrance

Motte (Medieval)

Site Name The Tor, Torrance

Classification Motte (Medieval)

Canmore ID 44980

Site Number NS65SW 5

NGR NS 6495 5263

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/44980

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish East Kilbride (South Lanarkshire)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District East Kilbride
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS65SW 5 6495 5263.

(NS 6495 5263) The Tor (NAT) Motte (NR)

OS 1:1250 map, (1973)

The Tor is an artificial mound of earth.

New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845.

The Tor: An oval mound situated on a ridge cut by a stream and a moat. Its summit measures 9.0m E-W by 7.0m, and is 2.0m higher than the ridge on its E side, the W side dropping 10.5m to the stream. Turf has been recently removed from the flat top, but no trace of masonry is apparent. The regularly sloped sides of this mound give it the appearance of a motte.

Visited by OS (J F C) 25 February 1954.

Motte, The Tor: This motte has been formed by scarping the flanks of a natural mound. Its summit, which has been planted with trees, measures 25' x 20'. On the N, W, and E the flanks of the mound fall steeply for about 50' to the stream, but on the S the motte is cut off from the neighbouring ground by a broad ditch which, on the date of visit, has been almost entirely filled by the overflow from a rubbish dump.

Information from RCAHMS MS, 1959 (see archive)

Motte, The Torran: Formerly a free-standing mound in a small valley, it is now almost entirely buried and covered by a plantation. Stone and other building waste has been tipped on the S and E of the mound, infilling the valley on this side, and overreaching the height of the mound. Parallel drains have been dug into the top of the mound, and trees planted. Nine of the original trees on the mound survive, but the roots of the remainder have helped to stabilise the surviving profile on the W. The top has previously been disturbed by digging.

T C Welsh nd.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions