Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Badenscallie, Burial-ground

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Site Name Badenscallie, Burial-ground

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Canmore ID 4453

Site Number NC00NW 1

NGR NC 0369 0613

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/4453

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Lochbroom
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NC00NW 1 0367 0611.

(NC 0367 0611) Chapel (NR) (In Ruins) (Apparently applies to northernmost of two unroofed enclosures shown).

Burial Ground (NAT)

OS 6" map, Sutherlandshire, 2nd ed., (1906)

The ruins of an old chapel, surrounded by graves, situated close to the shore at Badenscallie. The date of its erection and dedication, if it ever had one, are unknown. (See NC00NW 6, which may apply).

OS Name Book 1875.

There are no local traditions of a chapel at this place and the two enclosures shown are of dry stone walling and apparently merely enclosures around important graves.

Mr Fraser (D Fraser, local historian, Achiltibuie) is of the opinion that possibly burial services were sometimes held within these enclosures, which may account for the "Chapel" description. According to him the burial ground is not earlier than the 18th c.

An Admiralty chart of 1858 describes the enclosure as "Tombs" and makes no mention of a chapel. (Information from Admiralty chart of Achiltibuie 1858)

Visited by OS (E G), 25 May 1962.

There are no traces of a chapel in this burial ground, which is still in use. May's survey of the Barony of Coigach (1758; SRO, RHP 85395) shows neither a chapel nor the burial ground.

Visited by RCAHMS (SDB), 17 May 1994

Activities

Field Visit (17 May 1994)

There are no traces of a chapel in this burial ground, which is still in use. May's survey of the Barony of Coigach (1758; SRO, RHP 85395) shows neither a chapel nor the burial ground.

Visited by RCAHMS (SDB), 17 May 1994

Field Visit (May 2000)

Following on from work carried out in the Ullapool area (DES 1999, 57, 58), surveys were made of several graveyards in Highland region.

NC 0367 0611 249 memorials were recorded.

Reports have been lodged with Highland SMR and the NMRS.

Sponsors: Highland Council Archaeology Unit, Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, Marc Fitch Fund, RCAHMS.

S Farrell 2000.

Field Visit (30 August 2015)

50m from HWM. A rectangular burial ground enclosed within a well maintained drystone wall (75m x 40m NW-SE) situated on a raised beach in Badenscaille bay. Two drystone enclosures and a large number of gravestones (1778-1988) are located in the plot. A fence annex to the NW contains additional 20th century graves. Various 19th century sources describe a ruined chaepl in this location however, there are no surface indications of this structure (NMRS). The lawn and structures within the burial ground are well maintained.

Visited by Scotland's Coastal Heritage at Risk (SCHARP) 2015

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions