- Council East Dunbartonshire
- Parish Baldernock (Strathkelvin)
- Former Region Strathclyde
- Former District Strathkelvin
- Former County Stirlingshire
NS57SE 6.00 57819 73720
(NS 5782 7372) Bardowie Castle (NR)
OS 6" map, (1971).
NS57SE 6.01 NS 57971 73801 Farmhouse; Farmsteading (Bardowie Mains)
Bardowie Castle consists of a tower, evidently completed by 1566, and additions made from the late 17th or early 18th century onwards; the latter are still inhabited as a modern mansion. The tower, which is still complete, is oblong on plan and measures 32'2" x 27'. It attains a height of four storeys, the uppermost one being constructed mainly within the roof. Its walls vary from 6'5" to 8'3" in thickness on the ground floor; the masonry is random rubble.
Bardowie Castle is as described by the RCAHMS. The tower is still partly inhabited.
Visited by OS (R D), 16 August 1966.
NS57SE 6.00 5782 7372 Bardowie Castle
NS57SE 6.01 57971 73801 Bardowie Mains
Glasgow, Mitchell Library, J. Maclehose' Country Houses - 1 print
Repairs to house and offices. Payment of #60 to James Robertson Esq. Account Book. 1837 GD161/Box 21
Non-Guardianship Sites Plan Collection, DC23069, 1953.