Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Summerston

Distance Slab (Roman)

Site Name Summerston

Classification Distance Slab (Roman)

Alternative Name(s) Antonine Wall; Balmuildy; Castlehill

Canmore ID 44484

Site Number NS57SE 2

NGR NS 57 72

NGR Description NS c. 57 72

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/44484

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish New Kilpatrick (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

Archaeology Notes

NS57SE 2 c. 57 72

See also NS57SW 1.

A distance slab of the Second Legion, donated to the Hunterian Museum, Glasgow in 1694, has been assigned by Gordon and Horsley to Castlehill fort (NS57SW 1). Early historians have thrown confusion on the exact location of this slab, but it can be reasonably deduced that the spot where it was found was 'near the farm of Summerston' (NS 578 721), probably beside the East Millichen slab (NS57SE 1).

The slab measures 4'5" x 1'11", and its inscription, which duplicates that of the slab from Cadder (NS67SW 19) reads: "IMP.CAES.TITO.AELIO.HADRIANO.AVG.PIO.P.P.LEG.II.AVG.PER.MP.III. DCLXVIS".

Visited by OS (W M J) 14 August 1951.

A Gordon 1726; J Horsley 1732; J Macdonald 1897; G Macdonald 1934.

Activities

Antiquarian Observation (1694)

A distance slab of the Second Legion, donated to the Hunterian Museum, Glasgow in 1694, has been assigned by Gordon and Horsley to Castlehill fort (NS57SW 1).

Publication Account (1934)

Early historians have thrown confusion on the exact location of this slab, but it can be reasonably deduced that the spot where it was found was 'near the farm of Summerston' (NS 578 721), probably beside the East Millichen slab (NS57SE 1).

The slab measures 4'5" x 1'11", and its inscription, which duplicates that of the slab from Cadder (NS67SW 19) reads: "IMP.CAES.TITO.AELIO.HADRIANO.AVG.PIO.P.P.LEG.II.AVG.PER.MP.III. DCLXVIS".

Field Visit (14 August 1951)

Visited by OS (W M J) 14 August 1951.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions