Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Paisley, Hawkhead House

House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Paisley, Hawkhead House

Classification House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Hawkhead Hospital

Canmore ID 44380

Site Number NS56SW 22

NGR NS 50820 62442

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/44380

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Renfrewshire
  • Parish Paisley (Renfrew)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Renfrew
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Archaeology Notes

NS56SW 22 506 622

Hawkhead, situated between Blackhall (NS46SE 22) and Crookstone (NS56SW 4) came into the possession of the Ross family in the late 14th century. Their house, in 1700 was built in the form of a court, and consisted of a large, old tower, to which lower buildings were added in 1634. The house has been considerably altered. (Hawkhead House: NS 506 622).

New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845; Orig Paroch Scot 1851; N Tranter 1962-70.

Hawkhead House is depicted on the OS 2nd Edition map (Renfrewshire, sheet XII, 1913). It has since been demolished.

Information from RCAHMS (HMLB), October 2001.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect: James Playfair c. 1788 - only partially carried out

Demolished

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Scottish Records Office

Repair contract between Margaret Scott, Countess of Eglinton and

Wm [ ], Wright, Glasgow. Repair, slate & harl the doocot of

Hallhead, Place of Stanelie and the Aisle in the Kirk of Renfrew.

1644 GD 3/E1157/6078

(Undated) information in NMRS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions