Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 127-165 Bridgegate, Fishmarket

Fish Market (19th Century), Shopping Centre (20th Century), Studio(S) (21st Century)

Site Name Glasgow, 127-165 Bridgegate, Fishmarket

Classification Fish Market (19th Century), Shopping Centre (20th Century), Studio(S) (21st Century)

Alternative Name(s) Briggait; 64-76 Clyde Street

Canmore ID 44340

Site Number NS56SE 75

NGR NS 59282 64640

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Glasgow (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS56SE 75 59282 64640

During conversion work on the former fishmarket part of the floor adjacent to the surviving tower of the second Merchant's House (1659) was removed by the contractors. Below the basal level of 19th century tile cladding the bottom of a blocked doorway was observed, reached by two steps. Removal of the steps by the contractors showed the steps had abutted a chamfered plinth at the base of the tower. One mason's mark was recorded, as was the line of the wall of the Merchant's House on the north side of the tower.

J B Kerr and J H McBrien 1985.

Architecture Notes


Architect: Clarke & Bell c.1873

Site Management (3 July 2014)

Constructed in 1903 as the third extension to the fish market (now the Briggait artist studios) by the Office of Public Works under AB Macdonald. Painted ashlar, single storey, triple arched former entrance (one with historic ironwork gates) to the third hall of the market complex. Pilasters dividing bays.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions