Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Langside House

Cup And Ring Marked Stone (Prehistoric)

Site Name Glasgow, Langside House

Classification Cup And Ring Marked Stone (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 44291

Site Number NS56SE 31

NGR NS 5721 6131

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/44291

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Cathcart (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS56SE 31 5721 6131.

At the S of a former wood, now covered by houses, stood a convex sandstone boulder, 1 1/2m by 1m by 3/4m. On its smooth but striated surface are: 2 cups-and-four-rings, 1 cup-and-three-rings and about 14 cups. The rings were probably all un-gapped, but are now much broken or flaked off. One figure has a radial groove from the inner ring. Greatest diameter - 52cm; carving depths up to 2cm. Now in Glasgow Art Gallery and Museum (Accession no: 02-78).

F R Coles 1906; R W B Morris and D C Bailey 1967; R W B Morris 1967; 1981

Find spot sited to approximately NS 5721 6131.

Visited by OS 1 April 1954.

Information from the Glasgow Evening Times, 25 June 1902 and from Glasgow Evening News, 27 September 1939.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions