Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lewis, Butt Of Lewis Lighthouse

Lighthouse (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Lewis, Butt Of Lewis Lighthouse

Classification Lighthouse (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Eoropie, Lighthouse; North Minch; Atlantic

Canmore ID 4424

Site Number NB56NW 8

NGR NB 51970 66483

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/4424

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Barvas
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Recording Your Heritage Online

Butt of Lewis Lighthouse, D. & T. Stevenson, 1862 A solitary, lantern-lit column marking the northernmost limit of the Long Island, this is one of several lighthouses that punctuate the Hebridean coast from spray-swept cliffs and skerries. Mounted on an awesome platform of serrated gneiss, it is unusually tall and built of red brick, like that on the Monach Isles. It was the last to succumb to automation (in 1997). The assistant keepers' accommodation is a two-storey range, taking the less usual form of one house above another, with an external stair, as at Corran Ferry. Keeper's cottage (also flat-roofed) in long, detached range alongside boiler and engine houses; stables opposite.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NB56NW 8 51970 66483

Butt of Lewis Lighthouse [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1992.

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Scottish Record Office

Butt of Lewis. Letter concerning one.

1817 GD46/17/Vol 48

(Undated) information in NMRS.

(Location cited as NB 519 660). Butt of Lewis Lighthouse. Built c. 1863 by engineers D and T Stevenson. A tall red-brick tower and a shorter fog-horn tower, both circular in section, tapering. The ancillary buildings are of the normal flat-roofed type; the keepers' houses are, unusually, tapering.

J R Hume 1977.

This lighthouse was first lit in 1862. It was fitted with an experimental W/T system soon after 1907, machine-gunned by German aircraft in November 1940 and electrified in 1976. It also monitors the Flannan Isles light.

R W Munro 1979.

This island lighthouse is situated at the Northernmost end of the Hebrides, and hence defines the Western side of the northern entrance to the Minch. It was built by D A Stevenson in 1862, forming part of the major scheme (involving the construction of no fewer than 29 lighthouses) that was carried out by D and T Stevenson between 1854 and 1878.

The lighthouse was electrified in 1976 and automated in 1998, being one of the last three Scottish lighthouses to be so converted.

Extensive records [location not cited] survive regarding the construction of this lighthouse.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 26 August 2008.

R W Munro 1979; K Allardyce and E M Hood 1986; K Allardyce 1998; S Krauskopf 2001.

Activities

Construction (1862)

Light established in 1862.

K Allardyce 1998

Modification (1862)

Automated in 1998.

K Allardyce 1998

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions