Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.

 

Glasgow, Partick Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Glasgow, Partick Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Canmore ID 44102

Site Number NS56NE 4

NGR NS 5591 6630

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/44102

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Govan (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS56NE 4 5591 6630.

The ruins of "Partick Castle" stood on the W bank of the River Kelvin, near the railway bridge. For many years it was believed to have been the country seat of the Bishops of Glasgow. (The lands of Partick were given to Glasgow Cathedral in 1136 by King David, and the bishops dated some of their documents from "Perthik".) The castle shown in the print (J S C 1935), however, was built by George Hutcheson in 1611 probably on the site of the Bishop's Castle (Millar 1896). It was removed about 1837.

J S C 1935; C Taylor 1902; J Millar 1896; A Macgeorge 1880; J Napier 1873.

NS 5591 6630. Sited from Napier's map.

Visited by OS (W M J) 17 August 1951.

Architecture Notes

Demolished 1853

EXTERNAL REFERENCES

Mit. Lib. 'Wm Graham I' p.25 - Photograph of old drawing

Mit. Lib. 'Glasgow in Former Times' - Lithograph 1835

Activities

Desk Based Assessment (October 2001)

Archaeological desk based study carried out on Glasgow Harbour by FIRAT Archaeological Services.

Publication Account (2009)

Partick Castle continued in use into the eighteenth century, being described c 1710 as ‘a well built and convenient house, well planted with barren timber, large gardens, inclosed with stone walls’ (quoted in Leishman 1845, 692). The tower was unroofed and ruinous by the 1780s, when it was quarried for the building of an adjacent farmhouse (fig 3.20; Napier 1873, 22, 33–4). For some years it had been let to tenants, the last of these leaving around 1770, and it was finally demolished in the 1830s.

Information from ‘The Scottish Burgh Survey, Historic Govan: Archaeology and Development’ (2009).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions