Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, High Street, Old College

University (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Glasgow, High Street, Old College

Classification University (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) University Of Glasgow; Site Of University 1656; Foulis Academy

Canmore ID 44095

Site Number NS56NE 33

NGR NS 5987 6515

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/44095

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Glasgow (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS56NE 33 5987 6515.

(Name: NS 5987 6515) Site of University (NR) AD 1656

OS 25" map, (1966)

Glasgow University was founded in 1451. Lectures were originally held in the Blackfriars' chapter-house. Sometimes prior to 1454 land on the E side of the High Street, N of the Blackfriars' grounds, was given for the erection of University buildings, extended in 1467, and this site was occupied from then until the University moved to Gilmorehill (NS 567 666) in 1870. The old buildings were sold to the railway company.

R Renwick and J Lindsay 1921; R Renwick 1908; J Slezar 1693.

The site of Glasgow University is now occupied by College Goods Station. An inscribed plaque at NS 5986 6520 reads: "On this site stood the University of Glasgow from 1460 till 1870. The main gateway now re-erected at Gilmorehill was opposite College St."

Visited by OS (F D C) 20 September 1951.

Architecture Notes

This is the original site of the University of Glasgow, now demolished. See also NS56NE 54.

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect:

Sir William Bruce

Basil Aitchison

1800 - wooden bridge over the Molendar Burn

David Hamilton

1803 - anatomy department, Hunterian Museum

Peter Nicholson

1806 - extension

1810 - 1816 - extensions

William Stark

1808 - Hunterian Museum

John Thomson

1832 - design for a house

Library:

Architect:

William Adam 1732

Allan Dreghorn supplied plans

John Craig supplied plans

James Adam

1743 - 1745 - (carver in marble and mahogany) marble vases for library chimney for (pounds)5 st.

Measured elevations and plans by WP and DLB, 1942

Slides of Old College library, unlocated at time of upgrade (31.8.1999)

EXTERNAL REFERENCES:

SMT Magazine, 1931

Glasgow University Library Archives

Drawings:

Basil Aitchison 1800 - plans for wooden bridge over the Molendar Burn

David Hamilton 1803 - plans for Anatomy Department and Hunterian Museum

Peter Nicholson 1806 - 1816 - plans for extensions

William Stark 1808 - plans for Hunterian Museum

John Brash 1823 - plans for extension to Hunterian Museum

John Thomson 1832 - plans for a house

Mitchell Library:

Glasgow in Former Times Vol 2

3 photographs

1 photo of gateway 1868

1 photo of staircase

4 photos of courtyard

1 photo of examination hall

engraving of buildings at the close of the C17th

T Fairburn

Relics of Ancient Architecture no 9

- drawing

Relics of Ancient Architecture no 10

- drawing of Outer Court

Swan's Views of Glasgow

- 1 engraving

Wm Graham 1 p8

- photograph of old print

Scottish Record Office:

Glasgow. Stone and timber sold to the College of Glasgow for building houses for the professors.

[The materials were the residue of what had been bought for building the Duke of Montrose's New House at his Lodging in the Drygate]

Accounts

1725 Gd 220/6/0021/1, 5 and 6

High Street, Old College Library

GD 220/5/1214/1 - 4 (Montrose)

4 letters from Charles Northland, Prof of Oriental languages to Nungo Graham of Gorthy

1 - January 1732

Faculty to begin building of the Library. Committee formed to agree with workmen and buy materials

2 - February 4th 1732

Want James Adam to assist in building library

3 - March 14th 1732

According to your desire have sent you 2 draughts of our library. They differ in nothing but as to different form at the Rusticks of the windows as to which many of us are in much doubt over whether there should be any Rusticks in the windows or not but only plan and arch'd and would therefore be obliged to you for your asvice about that & any other thing about the building. You'll observe that the feet of the windows are as high as the top of the presses for the books and in regard that the floor of the library will be 8 or 9 foot above to ground beneath so there will be some room useful for several things. I say because of this there will be a great space of wall which runs parallel with and along the garden walk below the windows... If you please you may bid James Adam to come to town next week and give him your advice on anything you think fit. We have got no lime yet else I would have written for him sooner.

4 - August 30th 1732 Re: stones

GD 220/5/1271

26th June 1733

Library is likely to prove expensive. (pounds)670 has already been disbursed and this does not include the price of stones from Montrose, more timber will be needed and the wainscot and the glass for the windows & the roof is still to be put on, & a great stair to be built as well as a coat of arms and ballustrades.

Stone required for the New Library at the University

Professor Morthland asks for stones 'particularly those lying without the gate upon the street'

Letter from Charles Morthland to Mungo Graham of Gorthie

1732 GD 220/5/1213/1

Request to appoint James Adam [Mason in Stirling] to cinsist in building the library 'as we had him when we built our houses'

Letter from Charles Morthland to Mungo Graham of Gorthie

1732 GD 220/5/1214/2

Letter which accompanied two Plans [Wanting] for the new University library (now in University Archives). the Plans differ only as to the 'rusticks of the windows as to which many of us are in much doubt whether there should be any rusticks in the window or not but only plain and arch'd'. the library floor will be 8 - 9 feet above the ground, leaving a useful space below, but the problem is how to light it. Asks advice. Letter from Charles Morthland to Mungo Graham of Gorthie

1732 GD 220/5/1214/3

Stone for the building of The University Library

Some years before 'a good many of the small stones' had been sold to the College when its new houses were building. The Duke of Montrose retained the large stones but now is willing to sell the mopre appropriate of these for the new building. At present the stones are lying about the street. The Duke wishes still top retain the very largest. He expects to be reimbursed of the price he paid for the others

Letter from the Duke of Montrose to Mungo Graham of Gorthie

1732 GD 220/5/879/6

Prospect of building library at College of Glasgow

It is to be 'set about' in Spring

Letter from Charles Morthland to Mungo Graham of Gorthie

1731 GD 220/5/1186/4

Agreement by the Faculty to build the library. Explanation of the delay in order to increase the sum given. The Duke, however, wishes the building begun and the Faculty agrees. The Duke of Montrose in a letter to Mungo Graham of Gorthie encloses papers (2) relating to the proposed building

1731 GD 220/5/877/17 - 19

Duke of Chandos's bequest

Grant by the Duke of Chandos to the University

Letter from the Duke of Montrose to Mungo Graham of Gorthie

1726 GD 220/5/856/3

Duke of Chandos's bequest to the University

Letter includes an explanation of the Faculty's delay in applying the money to the building of a library

A site had not yet been fixed upon or estimates obtained

Letter from Charles Morthland to Mungo Graham of Gorthie

1730 GD 220/5/1135/2

Building a University Library

The Duke of Montrose encloses a copy of a letter to Principal Stirling concerning the Duke of Chandos's grant. He suggests that building the University Library should be delayed if there is insufficient interest on the money

1726 GD 220/5/856/4 - 5

It is to be built upon 'the other side of the parterre at the back of the Common Hall with its gavel opposite to the gavel of Mr Loudon's house and the other gavel at the Principal's tomb in the Church yard'. There is about 56 feet of ground there lying parallel with the first Great Walk of the College yard.

Letter from Charles Morthland to Mungo Graham of Gorthie

ND [1731] GD 220/5/1186/5

The Faculty has been asked to agree upon the building 'before Martinmas next'

Letter from Principal Neil Campbell to Mungo Graham of Gorthie

1731 GD 220/5/1205

The Principal acknowledges a memorial relating to the Library and the money to build it bestowed by His Grace the Duke of Chandos

The Duke of Montrose encloses a letter (copy) from Principal Neil Campbell

1731 GD 220/5/877/13 - 14

Designs for the new University Library

When at Hamilton, William Adam, Architect [1689 - 1748] had been desired by the gentlemen of the College at Glasgow to visit them and comment on the designs of the New Library

Letter from William Adam to Mungo Graham of Gorthie

1732 GD 220/5/1232

Expenses of the University Library

The Library is likely to prove expensive, (pounds)670 has already been disbursed and this does not include the price of stones from Montrose. More timber will be needed, and the sainscot and glass for the windows and the roof is still to be put on, and a great stair to be built, as well as a Coat of Arms and 'bullostrodes'

Letter from Charles Morthland to Mungo Graham of Gorthie

1733 GD 220/5/1271

Payment for stone bought from the Duke of Montrose by the University of Glasgow

Letter concerning this from Charles Morthland to Mungo Graham of Gorthie

1735 GD 220/5/1338

Stone for the New Library of the University of Glasgow

Account of stones brought down from the Duke of Montrose's house at the Wyndhead. It amounts to (pounds)71.5.4

1732 - 1733 GD 220/6/1041/26

Stone sold to the University of Glasgow by the Duke of Montrose for building the Library of the University. Letter from Charles Morthland, professor in the University, to Gorthy. He is sending (pounds)50 of the (pounds)71.3.0 due to the Duke

1736 GD 220/6/1041/25

Glasgow University Archives 40/341

An account of stones belonging to the Duke of Montrose that were brought down from his Great House at the Wyndhead for the use of the new Library of the University

1732 and 1733

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions