Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 74-76 Hopehill Road, St Columba's Roman Catholic Church

Church (Period Unassigned), Gate(S) (Period Unassigned), Presbytery (Post Medieval)

Site Name Glasgow, 74-76 Hopehill Road, St Columba's Roman Catholic Church

Classification Church (Period Unassigned), Gate(S) (Period Unassigned), Presbytery (Post Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) St Columba Of Iona Roman Catholic Church And Presbytery House; Callander Street; Hopehill Gardens

Canmore ID 44069

Site Number NS56NE 156

NGR NS 58295 67132

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Glasgow (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

St Columba of Iona RC Church, 74-76 Hopehill Road, 1937, Gillespie, Kidd & Coia

Basilican plan with low aisles and bold central entrance tower at west, featuring Italian Romanesque details adapted for West of Scotland climate. Concrete portal frame, glass and brick, steep tiled mansard roof. Stone features at entrance and to adjoining brick presbytery. Painted panels of Stations of the Cross brought here from the Empire Exhibition, Hugh Adam Crawford. Marble altar screen and carved crucifix, Benno Schotz.

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press

Archaeology Notes

NS56NE 156 58295 67132

St Columba's RC Church [NAT] (at NS 58294 67139)

Presbytery [NAT] (at NS 58280 67110)

OS (GIS) MasterMap, July 2010.

Architecture Notes


Glasgow, 74-76 Hopehill Road, St Columba's Roman Catholic Church.

Plans of Church and other materials relating to the building and the parish are in the archives of the Archdiocese of Glasgow.

Information from Scottish Record Office newsletter, April 1994.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions