Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Thornliebank, Holm Farm, Dovecot

Dovecot (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Thornliebank, Holm Farm, Dovecot

Classification Dovecot (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Newton Mearns; Deaconsbank Golf Course

Canmore ID 43909

Site Number NS55NW 9

NGR NS 54560 57792

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/43909

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Renfrewshire
  • Parish Mearns
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Eastwood
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Dovecot, Deaconsbank Golf Course, possibly 17th century

Circular, rubble-built, eight-pigeonhole group with ledge. It is at the far end of the golf course, near the railway.

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NS55NW 9 54550 57796

(NS 54550 57796) Dovecot (NR)

OS 1:10,000 map, (1974)

A well preserved Medieval circular, stone roofed dovecot stands a few yards west of cup and ring marked rock NS55NW 8. It very closely resembles a similar structure at Dunure Castle (NS21NE 8).

A D Lacaille 1927.

Now protected by a 6ft high railing, this dovecot shows no doorway in its walling, only a walled up window on the east side. The only apparent means of entry is a small square hole above the eaves to the east of the pigeon holes visible on the photograph. It probably dates from the 16th century.

Visited by OS (J F C) 26 March 1954 and (W D J) 22 January 1971.

This site was visited in the course of fieldwork by Dr. T.C. Welsh.

[For further details, see NMRS/MS/1508].

T C Welsh 1983.

Activities

Standing Building Recording (14 March 2015 - 15 March 2015)

NS 55104 57898 – Boathouse

NS 54560 57792 – Dovecot (Canmore ID: 43909. SMR ID: 8402)

Archaeology Scotland conducted a building survey, 14–15 March 2015, in partnership with East Renfrewshire Council as part of their HLF funded, Parks for People project at Rouken Glen Park.

A basic survey was carried out of both buildings and this will act as a baseline for future assessments. The boathouse was constructed in the 1920s and from exterior appearances remains largely unchanged. The building is currently used as a café and public toilet block. Recent refurbishments include a new roof and guttering/down pipe system.

The dovecot is a Category B listed building (Historic Building Number 18538), and is located in the grounds of the Deaconsbank golf course, just to the W of the S end of Rouken Glen Park. A 20th-century railing surrounds the dovecot to restrict access. The date of the dovecot is unknown, but it has been speculated that it may date from the 16th century.

The dovecot is in the ‘beehive’ style, and is in a poor state of repair. There is no visible, formal entrance into the dovecot.

Archive and report: NRHE (intended)

Funder: East Renfrewshire Council, Heritage Lottery Fund Parks for People, and HES

(Source: DES, Volume 17)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions