Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Some of our data services may be unavailable for a short period of time on Tuesday the 27th of March. This is due to essential maintenance.

Clarkston, Overlee

Subterranean Structure(S) (Period Unassigned), Quern(S)

Site Name Clarkston, Overlee

Classification Subterranean Structure(S) (Period Unassigned), Quern(S)

Alternative Name(s) Glasgow

Canmore ID 43802

Site Number NS55NE 11

NGR NS 577 572

NGR Description NS c. 577 572

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2018.


Administrative Areas

  • Council East Renfrewshire
  • Parish Cathcart (Eastwood)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Eastwood
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Archaeology Notes

NS55NE 11 c. 577 572

See also NS55NE 3 and NS55NE 8.

Forty-two structures, considered to be underground dwellings, were found in 1808 (Pagan 1856) when removing earth from a quarry on Overlee farm (NS 577 572 on OS 1st ed. 6" map). They were ranged in arcs round the slope of a small hill, 36 in one arc with the other 6 in a smaller arc higher up the hill. They were about 5ft high and from 8ft to 12ft square; their sides were faced with rough, undressed stone while in the centre of each floor was a hole scooped out for a fireplace in which coal ashes still remained. Small heaps of water-worn pebbles lay near the fireplaces. The floors were covered to a depth of about 1ft with a black vegetable mould, considered to be the decayed remains of the roof, mixed with soil. The houses were partly excavated from the hill and partly above ground with a level approach to the entrance dug out of the slope. The houses were all destroyed (doubtless by the subsequent quarrying).

About 12 querns were found near the site of these houses. A cist containing a food vessel was also found nearby (see NS55NE 8).

(See also NS55NE 3).

NSA 1845; J Pagan 1856.

No further information was obtained during field investigation.

Visited by OS (J F C), 26 March 1954.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions