Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lochgoin Farmhouse And Monument To John Howie

Commemorative Monument (Period Unassigned), Farmhouse (20th Century)

Site Name Lochgoin Farmhouse And Monument To John Howie

Classification Commemorative Monument (Period Unassigned), Farmhouse (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Lochgoyn

Canmore ID 43786

Site Number NS54NW 3

NGR NS 5300 4688

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/43786

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Ayrshire
  • Parish Fenwick
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kilmarnock And Loudoun
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS54NW 3 5300 4688.

(NS 5300 4688) Lochgoyn (NR)

OS 6" map (1912)

Lochgoyn (NAT)

OS 6" map (1961)

The present farmhouse of Lochgoin was built in 1858 on the site of an earlier house. On the lintel of the door are several dates, the earliest being 1178, said to be when the first of the Howies of Lochgoin took up residence. There is no trace of the old house, which was noted as a place of refuge for Covenanters; some relics of this period are preserved in the house. Among them are twenty-two 17th century coins which were found nearby about 1850. In all, there were about forty dollars and several smaller coins, in a purse, said to have been buried by James Howie on the approach of soldiers. (A description of the coins, mostly Dutch and German, is given by Thomson).

J H Thomson 1903; A R Adamson 1875

The door lintel of this 19th century farmhouse is inscribed '1178', '1710' and '1810'. The Covenanting relics are still kept here.

Visited by OS (JLD) 23 August 1956

A programme of archaeological mitigation works was carried out prior to and during the construction of a wind farm at Whitelee, Eaglesham. Sample excavations were carried out where access roads intersected the remains the of three turf covered stone and earth banks (NS54NW 21, NS54NW 96, NS54NW 103). No artefacts were recovered and it was not possible to date the bank remains. A watching brief was carried out at Drumduff Hill where an access track intersected the alledged route of a trackway (NS54NE 39) recorded on the Ordnance Survey map. The track measured 3m wide and was formed with small stones and gravel set into natural clay subsoil. A further watching brief was carried out at Corse Hill during topsoil stripping for the construction of Turbine 104 which lay close to the previously recorded location of a turf-walled hut (NS54NE 20). Topsoil stripping revealed part of a copper earthing mat which was connected with the radar station situated at the summit of Corse Hill. No features or deposits of archaeological significance were uncovered. Watching briefs were also carried out at Lochgoin Farm (NS54NW 3), Drumduff Hill (NS54NE 4 and NS54NE 46 ), Padanochie Burn where the access road passed close to a 19th century burial and monument, and within the Flow Moss Area. No finds or features were identified.

Information from OASIS ID: cfaarcha1-54432

Architecture Notes

Single storey C18 farm. Adjacent obelisk monument, dated 1896, to John Howie, author of 'The Scots Worthies'.

Photographed on behalf of the Buildings of Scotland publications.

RCAHMS 2009

Activities

Watching Brief (June 2006 - August 2008)

Watching briefs at Lochgoin Farm (NS54NW 3), Drumduff Hill (NS54NE 4 and 46), Padaochie Burn (where the access road passed close to a 19th-century burial and monument), and in the area of Flow Moss revealed nothing of archaeological interest.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions