Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Newmilns Churchyard

Commemorative Monument(S) (19th Century), Covenanters Grave(S) (17th Century)

Site Name Newmilns Churchyard

Classification Commemorative Monument(S) (19th Century), Covenanters Grave(S) (17th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Martyrs' Grave; Martyrs's Monument

Canmore ID 43688

Site Number NS53NW 18.01

NGR NS 53758 37298

NGR Description Centred on NS 53758 37298

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/43688

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Ayrshire
  • Parish Loudoun
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kilmarnock And Loudoun
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

NS53NW 18.00 53752 37315 Loudoun Old Parish Church

NS53NW 18.01 53758 37298 Churchyard

(NS 5376 3730) Martyr's Grave (Gebbie) (NAT)

(NS 5378 3729) Martyr's Grave (Nisbet) (NAT)

(NS 5378 3730) Martyr's Monument (NAT)

OS 25" map (1856)

In Newmilns churchyard are the graves of a number of Covenant martyrs: (a) John Morton of Broomhill, a well-known Covenanter, shot dead at the Battle of Drumclog: (b) John Gebbeie of Feoch, wounded at Drumclog and died some time later: (c) John Nisbet of Hardhill, hanged at the Grassmarket, Edinburgh on 4th December, 1685. There is also a modern monument erected in 1829 to the memory of Mathew Paton, David Findley, James Wood, John Nisbet of Glen, and James Nisbet, slain in various places and dates between 1666 and 1684. (Gibson quotes fully the long inscriptions on the various stones).

J Gibson 1881

When seen by Thomson, Morton's and Gebbie's tombstones had sunk into the ground so that only part of the inscriptions could be read. The inscription on John Nisbet's stone is modern.

J H Thomson 1903

Apart from the 1829 memorial tablet, there is another modern obelisk (erected 1913) in the NW corner of the churchyard, dedicated to Matthew Paton, David Finlay, James Wood, John Morton, John Gebbie, Thomas Fleming, John Nisbet Jr and Sr, James Nisbet and John Law. Also, there are individual memorial tablets on the N wall of the church to John Nisbet and John Law. The only headstone seen, on the W side of the churchyard, is that of John Morton.

Visited by OS (JRL) 30 July 1982.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions