Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Galston, Barr Castle

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Galston, Barr Castle

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Lockhart Tower; Barr Tower

Canmore ID 43679

Site Number NS53NW 1

NGR NS 50155 36441

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/43679

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Ayrshire
  • Parish Galston
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kilmarnock And Loudoun
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS53NW 1 50155 36441

(NS 50153644) Barr Castle (NR)

OS 6" map (1967)

Barr Tower, also called Lockhart Tower from the name of the former proprietor, Lockhart of Barr, stands on a rock in the middle of Galston. It measures about 48ft by 35ft over walls some 7ft thick. The entrance is at first floor level. Built in the period 1400-1542, it has been much modernised and has entirely lost its original character. It is now used as a wool store.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1889.

Barr Castle, a 15th century keep, is generally as described. It has been re-roofed but retains the lower part of a parapet with angle-turrets. A small modern porch has been attached to the SE angle.

Visited by OS (JLD), 18 May 1976.

Barr Castle (the accepted local name and that published on the latest OS 25" plan) is as described and in fair condition; it is not occupied. A marble plaque above the SW doorway states "The Scottish reformers George Wishart and John Knox preached in this place - AD 1545 and 1556 respectively". When and in what circumstances this plaque was erected was not established.

Visited by OS (JRL) 30 July 1982.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions