Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dumfries House, Dovecot

Dovecot (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Dumfries House, Dovecot

Classification Dovecot (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 43607

Site Number NS52SW 12.02

NGR NS 53951 20350

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/43607

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Ayrshire
  • Parish Old Cumnock
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Cumnock And Doon Valley
  • Former County Ayrshire

Summary Record

The Dumfries House Doocot was recorded as part of the Threatened Buildings Survey of the estate in 2007. It is the oldest dated structure on the Dumfries House Estate. The doorway is dated 1671 and there is a date of 1851 on the south-east skewputt which suggests a building date and a restoration date. No documentray evidence has been found for either date or building works. The heraldic panel above the doorway is not a Crichton one but is of the McDoualls of Freugh who married into the Crichton family in 1720. For more information see RCAHMS publication Dumfries House, an Architectural Story.

STG 2014

Archaeology Notes

NS52SW 12.02 53951 20350

The only dovecot in Old Cumnock parish stands W of, and near to, Dumfries House (NS 541 203). It is single-chambered, with harled walls and crow-stepped gables. An inscription indicates that it was built in 1671 and repaired in 1842.

J Warick 1899; SDD List 1963

NS 53951 20350. The dovecot is in good condition and is as described. The door lintel is inscribed with the date '1671'. It is not in use and was not open for internal inspection.

Visited by OS (JRL) 23 October 1981

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions