Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Borland Castle

Castle (Medieval)(Possible)

Site Name Borland Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)(Possible)

Alternative Name(s) Boreland Castle

Canmore ID 43509

Site Number NS51NE 4

NGR NS 5864 1742

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/43509

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Ayrshire
  • Parish Old Cumnock
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Cumnock And Doon Valley
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS51NE 4 5864 1742.

(NS 5864 1742) Castle (NR) (site of)

OS 6" map (1971)

The occupier of Borland Mains pointed out the site of ruins which he calls Borland House and not Castle. He states that he removed the only portions of walls that were standing, some years ago, and believes that it was merely a dwelling house. A stone, now in Borland Smithy, dated 1677 and with the initials H M and M H, came from the ruins.

Name Book 1855

No trace of Borland Castle can be seen, though the foundations have occasionally been struck when ploughing. Part of the moat which surrounded it, and which could be easily filled by the burn close by, is quite visible. It lay on slightly elevated ground between Borland Smithy and Mill. (See also NS51NE 5). The stone mentioned in the ONB is over the fireplace at Borland Smithy.

J Warrick 1899

No trace of any building can be seen. The site is located on slightly rising ground.

Visited by OS (JLD) 21 June 1954

Although the published site falls in an area of featureless pasture, the farmer at East Borland (NS 588 172), Mr W Murray, confirmed the existence of buried foundations at this point, indicating on the ground the approximate line of a stone walls struck when the field was last ploughed some ten years ago. There is no trace of knowledge of a moat, and no finds have been made in the area. The former Borland Smithy is now part of East Borland farmhouse; Mr Murray confirmed the location and description of the dated stone, but it is now hidden behind modern decor.

Visited by OS (JRL) 2 Novemer 1981

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions