Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Borland Chapel

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned), Grave Slab (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Borland Chapel

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned), Grave Slab (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 43508

Site Number NS51NE 3

NGR NS 5939 1730

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/43508

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Ayrshire
  • Parish Old Cumnock
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Cumnock And Doon Valley
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS51NE 3 5939 1730.

(NS 5939 1730) Chapel (site of)

OS 6" map (1971)

Vestiges of a pre-Reformation chapel (called "Hallow Chapel" or "Borland Chapel" by Warrick) were to be seen here in 1837, but all traces had practically disappeared by 1899. A carved stone from this chapel, some 3' x 2', carved in concentric circles, is built into the wall of Chapel farmhouse. It is thought to be part of a cross, though it may be an altar-stone, or part of a sarcophagus (H J Steven 1899).

Human bones and skulls found when ploughing or digging here indicated an associated burial ground.

NSA 1845 (N Bannatyne); Name Book 1855; J Warrick 1899

The published site falls on an almost level terrace in an undulating field of pasture, which has been unploughed for many years. The effect is partly artificial, but this more likely relates to the farming activity of the nearby croft than to the existence of a chapel. The nettle-grown soil mark of a small rectangular structures lies at the edge of the terrace at approximately NS 5939 1729, but this again may be associated with the croft.

The tapered, and richly decorated (as described) fragment of a grave slab, about 9 cms thick, is firmly embedded in the W wall of the ruined croft (NS5943 1729).

Examination of the ruin and nearby stone dykes for other significant material proved negative as did enquiry at Calton farm regarding former remains of the chapel. The name 'Borland Chapel' is still held to refer to this site, but the name 'Hallow' appears to be unknown locally.

Visited by OS (JRL) 2 November 1981

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions