Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Old Erskine Parish Church And Graveyard

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Site Name Old Erskine Parish Church And Graveyard

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Alternative Name(s) Freeland By Bishoptown

Canmore ID 43346

Site Number NS47SW 24

NGR NS 44713 71995

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/43346

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Renfrewshire
  • Parish Erskine
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Renfrew
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Archaeology Notes

NS47SW 24 44662 72017

(NS 4471 7198) Church (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map (1970)

For successor church (NS 4466 7201), see NS47SW 53.

The predecessor of the present Erskine Parish Church stood here, in the centre of the churchyard. Having become ruinous, it was pulled down in 1813. The holy water stoup was still extant in 1856. Hay mentions that a fragment of this church remains. Erskine church was given to Paisley Abbey (on its foundation about 1169) by Walter Fitz-alan.

New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845; Orig Paroch Scot 1851; Name Book 1856; G Hay 1957

No visible traces of this church were seen during field investigation. However, Mr Cranston (sexton, Erskine Parish Church) states that during recent digging in the churchyard he came across a stone wall, approximately 1ft under the surface at this spot. It was approximately 1 1/2 feet in width, and with probing appeared to be about 20 yds long, running east-west.

The present minister believes this to the the site of the old church.

Visited by OS (WMJ), 26 February 1951.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions