Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Erskine House

Country House (Period Unassigned), Hospital (First World War), Hospital (Period Unassigned), War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name Erskine House

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned), Hospital (First World War), Hospital (Period Unassigned), War Memorial (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Erskine Hospital; Bishopton; Erskine House Policies; War Memorial; Princess Louise Scottish Hospital For Limbless Sailors And Soldiers; Marr Hall

Canmore ID 43262

Site Number NS47SE 1

NGR NS 45198 72531

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/43262

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images


First 100 images shown. See the Collections panel (below) for a link to all digital images.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Renfrewshire
  • Parish Erskine
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Renfrew
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Archaeology Notes

NS47SE 1.00 45198 72531

NS47SE 1.01 NS c. 4575 7245 Ice-house

NS47SE 1.02 Centred NS 4520 7250 Formal Gardens

NS47SE 1.03 NS 4530 7250 Morton Hall

NS47SE 1.04 NS 4520 7265 Harvie-Anderson Ward

NS47SE 1.05 NS 4510 7255 Haig Ward

NS47SE 1.06 Cancelled

NS47SE 1.07 NS 4530 7210 Veterans Cottages

NS47SE 1.08 NS 4532 7232 Farmsteading

NS47SE 1.09 NS 45355 72185 Kennels

NS47SE 1.10 NS 4535 7228 Piggery

NS47SE 1.11 NS 4538 7219 House at Kennels

For former West Lodge (Longhaugh Lodge or Dove Cottage, at NS 45347 72473), see NS47SW 124.

The old mansion house of Erskine, to which a large addition was made on the west side in 1778, stands near the bank of the River Clyde, a short distance upriver from the modern mansion (P A Ramsay 1839). The latter was built in 1828, at which time, according to Millar, the old mansion was removed (as Ramsay states that the old building was still there in 1839, probably it only became disused on the earlier date). No traces of it remained in 1856. The barony of Erskine belonged to the family of that name in the 13th century; it now belongs to Lord Blantyre.

OS Name Book 1856; A H Millar 1889; W M Metcalfe 1905; W Macfarlane 1907.

Area approximately NS 454 724. During field investigation no ground features were seen suggestive of the site of a former castle.

Visited by OS (WMJ) 27 February 1951

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE

Architect: Sir Robert Smirke. 1828

Sir Charles Barry - designs for fountain & garden lay-out.

EXTERNAL REFERENCE

R.I.B.A Drawings Collection. Sir Charles Barry - designs for fountain & garden layout - tracings

Activities

Publication Account (1917)

Commemorative account of the formal opening of the Erskine Hospital: G Eyre-Todd and W Guy 'The Princess Louise Scottish Hospital for Limbless Sailors and Soldiers at Erskine House'

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions