Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Johnstone, Red House, Cochrane Tower

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Johnstone, Red House, Cochrane Tower

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 43232

Site Number NS46SW 8

NGR NS 41804 61569

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/43232

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Renfrewshire
  • Parish Paisley (Renfrew)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Renfrew
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Archaeology Notes

NS46SW 8 4183 6160.

(NS 4183 6160) Red House on site of (NAT)

Cochrane Tower (NR)

OS 1:10000 map (1973)

Cochran Tower, the old seat of the Cochrane, is noted in a description of Renfrewshire (W Macfarlane 1907) (probably written in the early 18th century). In 1782, part of it was still standing, one of its vaults being used as a cart-house. However, nothing of it remained in 1837. It gave name to the family of Dundonald in the 13th century (Orig Paroch Scot 1851).

G Crawfurd and W Semple 1782; New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845

In the modern Cochrane Tower, which was built in 1896 is an inscribed stone dated 1592. This may be from a former Cochrane Tower.

Visited by OS (JHO) 2 March 1951

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions