Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Paisley, St Mirin's Chapel

Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Paisley, St Mirin's Chapel

Classification Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) St Mirin's Aisle

Canmore ID 43141

Site Number NS46SE 2.02

NGR NS 48558 63939

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/43141

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Renfrewshire
  • Parish Paisley (Renfrew)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Renfrew
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Archaeology Notes

NS46SE 2.2 c. 485 639.

There appears to have been a very ancient church, dedicated to St Mirin, at Paisley when the Cluniac monks settled at Renfrew (about 1163: see NS56NW 16). It was superseded by the new abbey (NS 4855 6395), which was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, St James, St Milburga and St Mirin (Mirinus) (cf NS46SE 35).

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1897.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions