Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Inchinnan, Northbar House

Farmhouse (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Inchinnan, Northbar House

Classification Farmhouse (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) House Of Hill

Canmore ID 43083

Site Number NS46NE 3

NGR NS 48086 69276

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/43083

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Renfrewshire
  • Parish Inchinnan
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Renfrew
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Archaeology Notes

NS46NE 3 48086 69276

For Preceptory of Greenend, see NS46NE 5.

(NS 4809 6927) Northbar House (NAT)

OS 1:10000 map (1974)

Northbar House (NR)

OS 6" map (1939)

Northbar House: A three-storeyed farmhouse, harled with stone dressings; severely plain apart from the Gilchrist arms panel in the upper centre - about 1742. Porch later.

HBM No.4

The Ordnance Survey Name book (ONB) describes this building, alternatively named House of Hill, as a substantial dwelling house, and quotes Crawford stating that North Barr was built in 1676. (However, see NS47SE 2). An early description states that the Bar Tower (NS47SE 46) was acquired by Donald Gilchrist in 1671, who 'founded a harbour on Clyde and built a very pretty house hard by with pleasant gardens which he called Northbar'. A little below it, on the brink of the Clyde stands Erskine House (W Macfarlane 1907). Also the NSA adds that it is the property of Lord Blantyre and connected with the grounds of Erskine by means of a bridge over the road near Erskine Ferry. Northbar House, formerly House of Hill, on the other hand, was owned by a Miss Balfour who was 'maternally descended from Donald McGilchrist who purchased Northbar proper in 1671.' It thus appears that North Barr farm (NS47SE 2) stands near the site of the 1676 house, while Northbar House was merely an early farmhouse, which changed its name from House of Hill in the 19th century.

New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845; Name Book 1856.

Architecture Notes

NS46NE 3 48086 69276

Demolished. Sundial sold to demolision contractor c. 1956

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions