Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Palace Of Inchinnan

Manor House (Medieval)

Site Name Palace Of Inchinnan

Classification Manor House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Garnieland Farm

Canmore ID 43072

Site Number NS46NE 2

NGR NS 4819 6965

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Renfrewshire
  • Parish Inchinnan
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Renfrew
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Archaeology Notes

NS46NE 2 4819 6965

(NS 4819 6965) Palace of Inchinnan (NR) (Site of)

OS 1:10,000 map (1974)

This spot, on Garnieland farm, was pointed out in 1857 by local informants as the site of the Palace of Inchinnan, though no trace of it remained. The wall immediately south of the site is chiefly built of stones taken from the ruins.

Name Book 1857

The manor house, called the Palace of Inchinnan, is said to have been built in 1506, which may be the date when the old manor house of the Stewarts (who held the lands in the 12th century) was superseded by the 'palace' of the Darnleys (Orig Paroch Scot 1851). Much of it was still standing in 1710, but it had been completely removed by the end of the 18th century.

Semple notes a stone from it, inscribed DD ISL KCL 1631 built into a gable end of a corn mill at Garnieland; this stone was in Inchinnan churchyard in 1905. McClelland also notes that some of its stones were used in a wall on Newshot Island, on Barmill farm, and to repair Inchinnan and Erskine churches.

G Crawfurd and W Semple 1782; R McClelland 1905

The Palace of Inchinnan is one of the oldest possessions of the Lennox family. It is now ruinous, an inscription over the main entrance indicates that it was built by Matthew, first Earl of Lennox and Helen Hamilton, his wife. Within it, there was a chapel.

W Macfarlane 1907; H Scott 1950

The site of this building is situated on a rise overlooking the River Clyde. There is no vestige of a building or other artificial feature to be seen. The area of the site is now a farm stockyard. There are some dressed grey-stones in the dykes in the immediate neighbourhood which may have come from the Palance of Inchinnan.

Visited by OS (WMJ) 12 March 1951

Architecture Notes


Built: 1506.

Demolished: 1782.


Field Visit (2012)

NS 4815 6977 Crawfurd’s History of Renfrewshire (1710) noted some considerable remains of the old palace of Inchinnan but, by Semple’s day (1782), it was demolished. The OS located the palace at NS 4819 6965. This location, ‘south of Garnieland Farm’ was taken from Crawfurd and Semple’s histories, but in the intervening years the farm had been demolished and rebuilt to the S, within the outer wall of the palace. The recently rediscovered large scale survey of John Watt (c1730), held by Birmingham City Archives, shows the palace as a substantial U-shaped building within an enclosure, at NS 4815 6977.

Stuart Nisbet,

Alan Steel,



MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions