Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Barrhead, Arthurlie

Cross (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Barrhead, Arthurlie

Classification Cross (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Arthurlee

Canmore ID 43006

Site Number NS45NE 5

NGR NS 49977 58544

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/43006

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Renfrewshire
  • Parish Neilston (Renfrew)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Renfrew
  • Former County Renfrewshire

EARLY MEDIEVAL CARVED STONES PROJECT

Arthurlee, Barrhead, Glasgow, Renfrewshire, cross-shaft fragment

Measurements: H 2.06m, W 0.64m, D 0.21m

Stone type: sandstone

Place of discovery: NS 4968 5813

Present location: NS 49977 58544

Evidence for discovery: the cross is thought to have stood in Cross-stane Field on the Arthurlee estate, but by 1785 it had been used as a stepping-stone in a burn in the field. Around 1870 it was erected in the grounds of Arthurlee House in a contemporary base, and sometime prior to 1942 it was moved to its current position

Present condition: broken top and bottom and very weathered, especially face C which was uppermost when it was in use as a stepping stone.

Description

This is the upper portion of a cross-shaft, broken at the point at which it narrowed towards the head and at the base. Each of the vertical faces bears interlace ornament carved in relief within a flatband frame. Face A bears three panels, the lower of which has a double-outline cross with rounded armpits and surrounded by interlace. Face C had four panels of simple interlace pattern. Both narrow faces are carved with interlace using cords with a median line: three panels on face B and a single panel on face D in which two areas of interlace are separated by two small animals one above the other facing left but each with its head turned to look over its back.

Date: ninth or tenth century.

References: Cooke 1872; ECMS pt 3, 454-5.

Desk-based information compiled by A Ritchie 2017

Archaeology Notes

NS45NE 5 4997 5854.

(NS 4997 5854) Cross (NR)

(NS 4968 5813) Cross (NR) (site of) (NAT)

OS 6" map (1970)

This 10th-11th century (J R Allen and J Anderson 1903) cross-shaft now stands at NS 4997 5854, by the roadside, set in a modern rectangular base and protected by railings. It measures 2.2m high, 0.5m wide, and 0.2m thick and is in good condition except that one face is badly worn (visited by OS (JFC) 31 March 1954). In 1857 (Name Book) it was believed that its original site had been at NS 4968 5813; however, in 1795 (Statistical Account [OSA]) it was acting as a footbridge over a stream in the area NS 497 580. It stayed there long enough to be worn smooth on one face; it was seen by the OS surveyor in 1857. It was later (approximately 1870) (J E Cooke 1873) erected in the grounds of Arthurlee House at NS 4979 5814, where it is published on later OS maps, eg OS 25" 1939. Prior to 1942 it was moved yet again by Barrhead Council to its present position (cf NS45NE 11).

R Murray 1942

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions