Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lewis, Laxdale, Priest's Glen

Stone Circle (Neol/bronze Age)

Site Name Lewis, Laxdale, Priest's Glen

Classification Stone Circle (Neol/bronze Age)

Canmore ID 4300

Site Number NB43NW 1

NGR NB 4111 3519

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/4300

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Stornoway
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NB43NW 1 4111 3519.

Stone cirle (remains), Priests Glen, Laxdale. Three prostrate stones mark the periphery of this circle, which is about 50 yards in diameter. One, on the N arc, is 5ft long and 3ft 2 ins broad: the others, on the S arc, 30ft 6 ins apart, are 5ft and 5ft 6 ins long and 2ft 8 ins and 2ft 5 ins broad respectively.

RCAHMS 1928, visited 1914.

The remains of this stone circle, 47.0m in diameter, comprise five prostrate stones, three of them half-buried, and a group of small earthfast stones, possibly packing for a sixth. The circle is at NB 4111 3519.

Within the circle, but off centre, is an oval heavily turfed mound, c.15.0m N-S by c.12.0m transversely and 0.7m high, Although it could be mistaken for a central cairn there is no evidence of stones and it is probably fortuitous, a result of peat digging in the area.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (A A) 23 June 1969.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions