Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glanderston House

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Glanderston House

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Glanderston Mains; Glanderstone House; Glanderston Tower

Canmore ID 42991

Site Number NS45NE 23

NGR NS 49972 56312

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/42991

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Renfrewshire
  • Parish Neilston (Renfrew)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Renfrew
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Archaeology Notes

NS45NE 23 49972 56312

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

NS45NE 499 563.

It appears that Glanderston House was rebuilt in 1698 around the foundations of the original tower and some annexes. The tower foundation, 11 by 9 metres over 2.5 metre wall, is of undressed stone, including rounded boulders. The 1698 house was built asymmetrically across the north-east end, to form a T-shape, with 3/4 of the tower as the downstroke, and a range 20 by 7 metres, of dressed sandstone, of which few fragments survive, lying across. However the south-west wall rests on a massive plinth, possibly an older wall base with batter. Although Crawford mentions a confirmation of Glanderston to the Mures in 1507, it appears to be earlier. From 1500 to 1516 it was the cause of a feud between the Mures and Maxwells of Nether Pollock. The tower is probably 1500 or earlier. I speculate that the feature in Glanderston Woods is a watch tower, since there was such a tower (standing today) opposite Old Caldwell Castle, and possibly at Capelrig.

Information from Mr T Welsh, 1983.

The remains, on a rectangular knoll, were rebuilt on a T-plan in 1698, but incorporate a substantial foundation, probably the late 15th century tower, 11m by 9m, over 2.5m wall of rough stone. The 1698 range, lying across this, is 20m by 7m, built of dressed sandstone, it rests partly on a substantial plinth 5m broad, 1m high, extending N and S of tower, probably also part of earlier castle.

T C Welsh 1983.

The site of Glanderstone House is marked by an overgrown rubble platform that lies on a promontory 120m SW of Glanderston Mains farmsteading, immediately below the dam that retains Glanderston Reservoir. Several fragments of worked stone are built into the spillway of the reservoir at NS 50019 56210, but none appear to originate from the post-medieval tower that is known to have stood here.

Visited by RCAHMS (AGCH), 18 June 2007.

Activities

Field Visit (18 June 2007)

The site of Glanderstone House is marked by an overgrown rubble platform that lies on a promontory 120m SW of Glanderston Mains farmsteading, immediately below the dam that retains Glanderston Reservoir. Several fragments of worked stone are built into the spillway of the reservoir at NS 50019 56210, but none appear to originate from the post-medieval tower that is known to have stood here.

Visited by RCAHMS (AGCH), 18 June 2007.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions