Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lewis, Calbost

Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Lewis, Calbost

Classification Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 4290

Site Number NB41NW 1

NGR NB 4140 1730

NGR Description Centred NB 4140 1730

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/4290

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Lochs
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NB41NW 1.00 centred on 4140 1730

NB41NW 1.01 NB 4143 1709 Horizontal Mill

A township comprising ninteen roofed, one partially roofed, four unroofed buildings, two of which are annotated as Ruins, five enclosures and a head-dyke is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire, Island of Lewis 1854, sheet 38). One of the roofed and one of the unroofed buildings are annotated as Corn Mills.

Fifteen roofed, four partially roofed, thirty-four unroofed buildings and the fragmentary remains of the head-dyke are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1974).

Information From RCAHMS (SAH) 9 July 1997

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions