Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Bailliehill Mount

Earthwork (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Bailliehill Mount

Classification Earthwork (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 42793

Site Number NS43NW 2

NGR NS 4070 3980

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/42793

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Ayrshire
  • Parish Kilmaurs (Kilmarnock And Loudoun)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kilmarnock And Loudoun
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

N43NW 2 4070 3980.

(NS 4070 3980) Earthwork (NR)

OS 1:10000 map (1979)

Traces of what looks like a fort with earthen ramparts occupy the eminence known as Bullyhill. Nothing has been done to prove it beyond two or three superficial diggings by R Linton and McNaught.

D McNaught 1912; J Smith 1895

On the summit of Bailliehill Mount is a sub-circular earthwork some 70.0m in diameter surrounded on all sides but the NW by an earthen bank 5.2m in average width, with an exterior height of 2.3m and an interior height of 0.5m. On the NW side is a steep escarpment down to the Carmel Water, and a recent landslide has possibly destroyed the bank here, unless it was purposely constructed on the edge of the escarpment.

There is no trace of an entrance to be sen and the interior has been mutilated by rig and furrow ploughing.

Visited by OS (DS) 15 August 1956

Previous field report confirmed.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (JLD) 3 October 1962

This possible settlement occupies the W end of a steep-sided spur at about 60m OD. Its detail is overgrown and confused by well-preserved rig and furrow which appears to have utilized the curving E rampart as a head dyke and boundary, with lines abutting from SE to NW on the exterior, and further lines running from SW to NE across the entire area of its interior. These interior rig lines terminate at a probably contemporaneous bank which runs concentric to the earthwork rampart and some 7 to 8m distant; the rampart itself stops short of the steep river bank on the N, suggesting an original entrance way. The inner bank, however, continues (see RAF APs F22.58/2107: 0230-1, flown 1957).

The rampart has a maximum external height of 1.4m on the E and survives only as a scarp up to 1.2m high on the W. It is lost around the S

where a field hedge/bank is on line.

Revised at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (JRL) 7 July 1982

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions