Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Gadgirth Castle

House (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Gadgirth Castle

Classification House (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Gadgirth House

Canmore ID 42754

Site Number NS42SW 1

NGR NS 4086 2229

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/42754

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Ayrshire
  • Parish Coylton (South Ayrshire)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kyle And Carrick
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS42SW 1 4086 2229.

(NS 4086 2229) Gadgirth on site of (NAT)

Gadgirth Castle (NR)

OS 6" map (1966)

Gadgirth House was built in 1808, on the site of Gadgirth Castle (demolished 1808), itself a successor to the Old Ha' (NS42SW 3). It was the family seat of Chalmers, an active Reformer, and othe mansion is mentioned in the 16th century as a place where John Knox held a service. Mary, Queen of Scots is supposed to have spent a night here. It is also noted in the Charters of the Friar Preachers of Ayr in 1500 (Chalmerses and Burnetts of Godgirth (offprint)).

NSA 1845 (A Duncan)

A modern house, now a Children's Home occupies the site of the old mansion, of which no traces can be seen.

Visited by OS (JLD) 13 May 1954

The house which occupied the site 84) has been demolished and the area has been completely cleared. No further information.

Visited by OS (MJF) 21 October 1980

There are no visible remains of Gadgirth Castle, possibly a tower- house, which probably occupied the site of Gadgirth House (built in 1808 and demolished in 1968). Gadgirth Castle is said to have succeeded the Old Ha' (NS42SW 3) and is on record in the 16th century as was the family seat of Chalmers.

NSA 1845; J Paterson 1863-6; J Strawhorn 1959; M C Davis 1984; RCAHMS 1985, visited (IMS) April 1985.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect: Allan Stevenson. 1908. Drains

Plans: at Darley Hay Partnership, Ayr.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions