Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tarbolton, Sandgate Street, Burns Bachelors' Club

Club (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Tarbolton, Sandgate Street, Burns Bachelors' Club

Classification Club (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Montgomerie Street

Canmore ID 42719

Site Number NS42NW 19

NGR NS 43111 27184

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/42719

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Ayrshire
  • Parish Tarbolton
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kyle And Carrick
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS42NW 19 43111 27184

(NS 4310 2717) Bachelors' Club, Tarbolton: a 17th century thatched cottage of two storeys where Robert Burns and his friends formed their Bachelors' Club in 1780. It was renovated and re-thatched in 1971.

R Prentice 1976

As described and open to the public.

Visited by OS (JRL) 17 November 1980.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Owners: National Trust for Scotland.

Non-Guardian Sites Plan Collection, DC28796, 1938.

Photographed on behalf of the Buildings of Scotland publications.

RCAHMS 2006

Activities

Publication Account (1985)

Like Souter Johnnie's House (no. 20), the Batchelors' Club owes its preservation to its association with Robert Bums. It was here, in the upper room, that Bums and his friends held the meetings of the Batchelors' Club in the early 1780s. The building itself is also of considerable interest, dating back about a century before the formation of the Batchelors' Club. It is of two storeys with harled and whitewashed walls and a thatched roof. The lower floor is divided into two apartments, while the upper is a single large room reached by an outside stair placed at the rear of the building. The National Trust have furnished it in the style of the late 18th century, and the upper room contains a collection of Bums memorabilia.

About 200m north-north-east of the Batchelors' Club, there is an unusual motte (NS 432273) with two baileys.

Information from ‘Exploring Scotland’s Heritage: The Clyde Estuary and Central Region’, (1985).

Field Visit (4 August 2015)

NS 43113 27186 17th century with later alterations, two-storey house, which is now owned by the National Trust for Scotland. The notes of the listed building description for the house reads that the ‘property was acquired by the National Trust [for Scotland] in 1938 and formally opened in 1951’ and ‘was renovated and re-thatched in 1971’. The roof is thatched in reed and has a raised straw ridge. The entire roof has been netted, including across the ridge, and has been boxed in with timber underneath the eaves along the front elevation. Along the rear elevation, where the entrance to the museum is located, there is what appears to be guttering installed underneath the eaves. The thatch has deteriorated somewhat and the surface of the thatch is therefore uneven. There is also a small amount of mossy vegetation growth on the surface of the thatch, as well as some small plants growing near the skews and some loose pieces of thatch, particularly along the ridge.

Visited by Zoe Herbert (SPAB) 04 August 2015, survey no.204

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions