Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.

 

Renton, Old Dalquhurn House

House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Renton, Old Dalquhurn House

Classification House (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 42375

Site Number NS37NE 8

NGR NS 3897 7799

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/42375

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Dunbartonshire
  • Parish Cardross (West Dumbartonshire)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Dumbarton
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

Archaeology Notes

NS37NE 8 3897 7799.

'The site of the old house of Dalquhurn, in which Tobias Smollett was born in 1721, is embraced within the bounds of a field at the south end of the village (Renton) overlooking the river Leven.' It was a 3-storeyed building of very plain architecture and had a single storeyed wing at the west end. The house stood on a commanding knoll,at one of the river's links, the site now being marked by a sand pit. The lands of Dalchurne are mentioned in a charter dated 1421

D Macleod 1891

'The lands of Dalquhurn were conveyed in the 14th century by Malcolm, Earl of Lennox to...Walter Spreull. Dalquhurn continued in the hands of his descendants till 1620 when it was sold by James Spreull of Cowden to his son-in-law John Dennistoun.' It was again sold to 1669, and in 1692 to Archibald Smollett, whose son Tobias, the novelist, was born here in 1721. (The 18th century engraving shows the old house on the edge of a spur projecting towards the river, near a great loop of the latter, and a little to the SE of the Smollett Monument).

J Irving 1879

(NS 3897 7799) The new church of 1893 has been erected on the site of the old house of Dalquhurn.

F Groome 1903

The first edition 6" map of 1864 shows a 'monument' (probably the 'Smollett Monument') at NS 3881 7820, with an open field to the SE of it. In this field there is now a church at NS 3897 7799 (see OS 6" 1914/38). The position agrees with the siting evidence above, and the church is therefore likely to be that which is said to occupy the site of'Old Dalquhurn House'. 'Dalquhurn House' is shown on the 1st edition 6" at NS 3923 7781, just SE of the church site.

Information from OS Recorder (ER) 18 January 1957

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions