Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kilbirnie Parish Church And Cemetery

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Site Name Kilbirnie Parish Church And Cemetery

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Kilbirnie Auld Kirk; St Birinie's Church; Barony Parish Church; Kilbirnie Auld Kirk And Cemetery Walls; War Memorials

Canmore ID 42216

Site Number NS35SW 2

NGR NS 31473 53647

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/42216

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council North Ayrshire
  • Parish Kilbirnie
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Cunninghame
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS35SW 2 31473 53647

(NS 3147 5364) Church (NAT) Formerly St Birinie's Church (NR)

(NS 3147 5362) Monument (NR)

OS 6" map (1911)

Kilbirnie Parish Church was dedicated to St Brendan. The kirk session state that it is said to stand on the site of a 6th century chapel of St. Brendan (Sanctus Birinius), and there are records of a ministry at Beith from 1127. A pre-Reformation building, it is a simple oblong, 65ft by 29 1/2ft, the tower attached to the W gable was built in 1490, the aisle was built in 1597, and the N aisle added in 1642. In 1854-5, the church was thoroughly repaired. At that time, when the old earthen floor was cleared out, numerous skeletons were dug up from nearly all over the area. Much of the S wall was rebuilt, and other alterations made.

In the churchyard is the tomb of Thomas Crawford, a captain of the protestant armies in Queen Mary's time.

J S Dobie 1880; W J Watson 1926

The Barony Parish Church, Kilbirnie, is in good condition and in use. The Crawford monument, a rectangular tomb, is dated 1594.

Visited by OS (DS) 4 September 1956

Previous field report confirmed.

Visited by OS (RDL) 12 May 1964

Architecture Notes

Drawings HD K/31/1/1-9 refer to the Knox family vault in 'Kilbirnie New Cemetery'. This might be the area centered on NS 31616 53383 to the South East of the church across from the dismantled railway.

(Information from RCAHMS DJNP 3 January 2003)

NMRS REFERENCE

Architect: Charles S. Johnston (carved panels).

NMRS Microfilm and Microfiche Collection

Monumental Inscriptions Within Cunninghame District

Copyright: Cunninghame District Council

Acc. no. 1990/57

Reel 2 (Kilbirnie), accompanied by index on microfiche.

The church was photographed in 2009 on behalf of the Buildings of Scotland publication series.

Activities

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions