Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Irvine, Eglinton Country Park, Eglinton Castle

Castle (Medieval), Country House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Irvine, Eglinton Country Park, Eglinton Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval), Country House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Eglinton Park; Eglinton House Policies

Canmore ID 42076

Site Number NS34SW 11

NGR NS 32274 42206

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/42076

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council North Ayrshire
  • Parish Kilwinning
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Cunninghame
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS34SW 11 32274 42206

(NS 32274 42206) Remains of Eglinton Castle (NAT)

on site of Castle (NR)

OS 6" map (1971).

See also:

NS34SW 34.00 NS 31086 42320 Kilwinning Gates

NS34SW 34.01 NS 31086 42310 Kilwinning Lodge

NS34SW 35 NS 31809 42175 Park Bridge

NS34SW 37 NS 31336 42321 Eglinton House

NS34SW 66.00 Centred NS 32061 42399 Eglinton Country Park

NS34SW 66.01 NS 31969 42103 Stables

NS34SW 66.02 NS 32068 42247 Tournament Bridge

NS34SW 66.03 NS 31963 42208 Formal Garden

NS34SW 66.04 NS 31321 42033 Lady Jane's Cottage

NS34SW 66.05 NS 31495 41380 Redburn Gates

NS34SW 66.06 NS 32007 41879 Belvidere Gates

NS34SW 66.07 NS 31644 42162 Walled Kitchen Garden with Gazebos

NS34SW 66.08 NS 31963 42472 Fish Pond

NMRS REFERENCE

ARCHITECT: John Paterson, 1797 (tradition) John Baxter 1777 - Redburn Gateway & lodges

David Hamilton - iron bridge John Baxter 1775 - design for new castle - to add to old

Tweedie - landscape gardens finished 1801

Plans: David Hamilton Drawings. Vol. 2. p.277 & p.279 - photohstat elevation of 1st design for the

iron bridge and detail of pier and gateway

Eglinton Castle which was Category B Listed was gutted in the 1930s and blown up, with the exception of the central tower, later. Information from Demolitions catalogue held in RCAHMS library.

EXTERNAL REFERENCE

Ayrshire Agricultural Report 1811 - engravings of house and bridge.

Swan's Views Vol. 1 page 20 1 engraving.

Scottish Record Office:

Designs.

New fireplace. Design for engraved mirrord. designfor mantelpiece.

Initialled. AR. ?

1860 GD3/E54/3877

Papers in court action against the Earl of Eglington for non-payment of accounts.

for work carried out between 1797- 1806. Brought in 1823 by John Paterson.

(3 bundles of legal papers in GD3 (Paterson Papers). Inf from Dr Margaret Sanderson).

gives lists of craftsmen etc.

Building and repairs.

Ledger includes sums paid to masons, slaters, plumbers, plasterers and painters.

1878-1902 GD3/8546

Ditto

1910- 21 GD3/8542

Mason work at Eglington Castle, offices, gardens and Large Cascade.

David Andrew - mason

1835 GD3/ E2061/7628

Repair to the Cascade below Eglinton Castle. Mason's discharged account.

1835 GD3/E2061/7628

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Eglinton Castle is modern, having been completed in 1802, when the old castle was wholly demolished. This earlier castle, the chief seat of the Montgomeries, was burned by the Cuninghames of Glencairn in 1528.

A H Millar 1885; R Bryden 1908.

After having been made uninhabitable by Commandos during the war, Eglinton Castle was blown up in the 1950's.

H Fenwick 1976.

Eglinton Castle is now a complete ruin and a perambulation of the shell of the building revealed no evidence of any early work.

Visited by OS (JLD) 4 September 1956

No change to the previous field report. The ruin now forms part of a public park.

Visited by OS (JRL) 20 August 1982.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions