- Council North Ayrshire
- Parish Dundonald (Cunninghame)
- Former Region Strathclyde
- Former District Cunninghame
- Former County Ayrshire
NS33NW 7 c. 317 387
There was a house of Carmelite (white) Friars at Irvine, founded by one of the Fullertons of Fullerton. Though the earliest extant reference to it occurs in 1335, it may have been established before 1293. Its property was given to the Royal School of Irvine in 1572 by James VI.
I B Cowan and D E Easson 1976
(Area NS 317 387) No trace remains of the building or of the nearby mansion of the Fullertons (NS33NW 25). When the ground was laid out for building some years ago, the foundations of the convent walls were discovered about 50 yards west of the old place of Fullarton.
NSA 1845 (A Willison)
Area of the site now built upon, no traces visible, and no further information obtained.
Visited by OS (JLD) 26 May 1954
Publication Account (1980)
There is now no trace of the friary of the Carmelite Order raised in Fullarton sometime in the thirteenth century. The author of the New Statistical Account mentioned that 'when the grounds some years ago were faced out for building, the convent walls were discovered about fifty yards west from the old place of Fullarton' (NSA, 1845, v, 677). Whether these walls were actually Carmelite property is conjectural. The Ordnance Survey gave a tentative site location for the friary at NS 3170 3876 (Ordnance Survey, Record Cards, Reference NS 33 NW 7). On the 14th August, 1399, a grant was made by Reginald Fullarton to the order for repairs to their conventual buildings while thirteen years later the patronage of the friary was adjudged to belong to Rankin Fullarton, whose forbears were described as 'founderis and patronis till our house or Irrwyn' (Cowan and Easson, 1976, 137). After the Reformation, its property was granted by James VI to the Royal School of Irvine (RMS, iv, no. 2071).
Information from ‘Historic Irvine: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1980).