Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Irvine, High Street, Old Mercat Cross

Market Cross (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Irvine, High Street, Old Mercat Cross

Classification Market Cross (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 41946

Site Number NS33NW 4

NGR NS 3221 3886

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/41946

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council North Ayrshire
  • Parish Irvine
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Cunninghame
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS33NW 4 3221 3886

(NS 3221 3886) Cross (NR) (Site of).

OS 1:2500 map (1938)

In ancient times there was a magnificent Market Cross in the centre of the town, but it was taken down in 1694. The principal stones were applied in the erection of the present meat market in 1964 and 1965

(NSA 1845).

There is no record of the date of its (Cross) erection. Its site is still marked on the causeway by a stone from the Old Cross set in a circle of cobble-stones.

A F McJannet 1938

Site in road as described. At NS 3225 3885 is a modern replica of the cross, serving as a War Memorial, and which bears the inscription:- "The Old Mercat Cross was removed from the adjacent site in 1694".

Visited by OS (JD) 16 May 1954

No change.

Visited by OS (JRL) 5 June 1982.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions