Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lewis, Cul A'chleit

Standing Stone(S) (Prehistoric)

Site Name Lewis, Cul A'chleit

Classification Standing Stone(S) (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Callanish Vi; Calanais

Canmore ID 4173

Site Number NB23SW 7

NGR NB 2465 3034

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/4173

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Uig
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NB23SW 7 2465 3034.

(NB 2465 3034) Stone (NAT)

OS 6"map, (1965)

Two standing stones so placed as to suggest that they are the remains of a stone circle stand on the summit of Cul a' Chleit near its eastern side.

The larger stone measures 5'6" in height, 3'2" in breadth and from 13" to 2' in thickness, while the other, which stands 56'10" to the SW is 3' high, 2'10" broad and 7" thick. Some 19 1/2" WNW of the first is a flat slab 5'6" long and 5'1" broad, with another prostrate stone 5'2" long and 3'4" broad lying 10" south of it.

There are some ruined shielings in the immediate neighbourhood which accounts for the destruction of the circle.

RCAHMS 1928, visited 1914.

Two upright stones, the most northerly a fine monolith, on the summit of a small but prominent rocky knoll. Despite two or three rough slabs lying prone to the W, it is difficult to believe that they constitute the remains of a stone circle, because of the very uneven and rocky nature of the knoll.

Surveyed at 1/10,000

Visited by OS (A A) 4 July 1969.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions