Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lewis, Garynahine, 'tursachan'

Cairn (Neolithic) - (Bronze Age), Stone Circle (Neolithic) - (Bronze Age)

Site Name Lewis, Garynahine, 'tursachan'

Classification Cairn (Neolithic) - (Bronze Age), Stone Circle (Neolithic) - (Bronze Age)

Alternative Name(s) Callanish Iv; Sron A'chail; Ceann Hulavig; Calanais; An Ceann Thulabhig

Canmore ID 4170

Site Number NB23SW 4

NGR NB 2297 3042

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/4170

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Uig
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NB23SW 4 2297 3042.

(NB 2297 3042) Stone Circle (NR) (remains of)

OS 6" map, (1965)

A stone circle 33' in diameter, consisting of five tall thin pillar stones, each facing the interior, with a circular ring of small boulders about 12' in diameter within the circle, and a small slab, 2' high 2'8" wide and 10" thick, set on edge in the centre of the ring. The stones are spaced at irregular distances varying from 7'11" to 32', the last space to the NW suggesting that a stone has been removed. The Pillars vary from 6'9" to 9' in height and from 2'7" to 4'10" in width, the two adjoining stones on the eastern arc being flat on top and the others pointed. The area enclosed by the circle has been depleted of a 2' covering of peat, and apparently some further excavation has been made.

RCAHMS 1928, visited 1914.

A stone circle with a cairn placed eccentrically within, as described by RCAHMS.

Visited by OS (R L) 20 June 1969.

Scheduled as Sron a'Chail, stone circle and cairn.

Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 1 December 1992.

This cairn and stone circle are as described. The interior was water-filled on the date of visit.

Visited by RCAHMS (ARG, SPH) 29 August 2009

Activities

Field Visit (16 June 1914)

Stone Circle, "Tursachan", Garynahine.

About 1 mile south of Garynahine and some 250 yards west of the road to Uig on the gently rising northern slope of a small hill, about 100 yards from its summit, at an elevation of 100 feet above sea-level, commanding a fine view in all directions, except to the south is a stone circle 33 feet in diameter, consisting of five tall, thin pillar stones, each facing the interior, with a circular ring of small boulders about 12 feet in diameter within the circle, and a small slab, 2 feet high, 2 feet 8 inches wide and 10 inches thick, set on edge in the centre of the ring. The stones are placed at irregular distances, varying from 7 feet 11 inches to 32 feet, the last space to the north-west suggesting that a stone has been removed. The pillars vary from 6 feet 9 inches to 9 feet in height and from 2 feet 7 inches to 4 feet 10 inches in width, the two adjoining stones on the eastern arc being flat on the top and the others pointed. The area enclosed by the circle has been depleted of a 2 feet covering of peat, and apparently some further excavation has been made. (Fig. 52.)

RCAHMS 1928, visited 16 June 1914.

OS map: Lewis xxv.

Field Visit (29 August 2009)

This cairn and stone circle are as described. The interior was water-filled on the date of visit.

Visited by RCAHMS (ARG,SPH) 29 August 2009

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions