Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Monkton Castle

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Monkton Castle

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Monkton House; Orangefield House

Canmore ID 41677

Site Number NS32NE 14

NGR NS 35885 27061

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/41677

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Ayrshire
  • Parish Monkton And Prestwick
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kyle And Carrick
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS32NE 14 35885 27061

See also Monkton House NS32NE 95

According to Pont, Monkton Castle stood near the village of Monkton (NS 35 27). No remains of this building now exist; even its site is unknown (J Paterson 1863).

K Hewat 1908

What may be the same building is that referred to in 1723 as the "house of Monktoun", which stood very near to the Pow Bridge (Powburn Bridge: NS 356 268). It is noted as belonging to Baillie of Monktoun, formerly to the Earls of Abercorn, being where they stated occasionally.

W Macfarlane 1906

No further information, but the name Monkton House (or Orangefield) is still known locally in association with the Powburn (S Sillars, Whiteside Farm, Monkton). Armstrong's (1775) map clearly shows Orangefield and its estate in the general area of NS 359 271, just N of the Powburn, a location long since occupied by Prestwick Airport.

Visited by OS (JRL) 11 November 1980

There are no visible remains of the 'house of Monkton', probably a tower-house, which is said to have stood very near to the Pow Bridge; the site is now occupied by the main runway to Prestwick Airport. It is depicted on Pont's map as 'Muncktoun Castle' and was formerly the property of the Earls of Abercorn.

Pont 1654; J Paterson 1863-6; J Smith 1895; W Macfarlane 1906-8; T Pont 1654; RCAHMS 1985, visited (IMS) April 1985

Architecture Notes

NS32NE 14

Orangefield House was originally called Monkton House.

Information from RCAHMS (TIC), February 2002.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions