Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Monkton, Old Parish Church

Cemetery (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Monkton, Old Parish Church

Classification Cemetery (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) St Cuthbert's Church

Canmore ID 41672

Site Number NS32NE 1

NGR NS 35809 27688

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/41672

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Ayrshire
  • Parish Monkton And Prestwick
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kyle And Carrick
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS32NE 1 35809 27688

(NS 3580 2758) Ch (NR) (rems of)

OS 6" map (1968)

St Cuthbert's Church (NR) (In Ruins)

OS 6" map (1908)

Monkton parish church, which was dedicated to St Cuthbert, was given to Paisley Abbey in 1163. It was in use till 1837, but is now roofless. It was originally a simple oblong, 46ft by about 20ft internally; these walls are undoubtedly ancient, but they have been considerably altered and a N wing was added after the Reformation; the belfry erected at that time still exists on the E gable. In the S wall is a round-arched doorway, with 13th century mouldings.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1897

This is a plain, rectangular building with features as described above. The four walls and the N wing remain in a fair state of preservation.

Visited by OS (JLD) 11 May 1954

No change.

Visited by OS (JRL) 4 November 1980

The roofless ruin of this medieval parish church stands within its walled burial-ground; it is rectangular on plan (13.8m by 5.6m within walls 1.1m thick) and gable-ended, and has been subject to a number of structural changes including the shortening of the building at its E end. The oldest identifiable work is of early 13th century date as evidence by the richly moulded S doorway; the N doorway has been rebuillt and is lintelled with a medieval graveslab. The gables have chamfered offsets. During the 17th century the interior was remodelled; lofts were provided at both ends a belfry was added on the E gable. An aisle (now rebuilt as the Angus burial-aisle, measuring 4.45, by 4.15m internally) was subsequently added on the N. At the E end of the church there is a finely wrought graveslab bearing the date 1577 and a number of early 17th century graveslabs are situated on the S. Between 1165 and 1172 the church, dedicated to St Cuthbert, was granted by Walter FitzAlan to the monastery at Paisley, and during the late 16th century the parish was united with Prestwick; the church was abandoned in 1837.

Statistical Account (OSA) 1794; J Paterson 1863-6; G Chalmers 1887-1902; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1896-7; H Scott 1915-61; I B Cowan 1967; RCAHMS 1985, visited (IMS) April 1985.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

1914

1925

Plans: at Darley Hay Partnership, Ayr.

Photographed on behalf of the Buildings of Scotland publications.

RCAHMS 2009

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions